Starting out as a nu-metal band, TFK’s first album (Shutterbug) was independently released in 1995. The band has Neil Sanderson drumming, who’d later go on to join the extremely popular rockband Three Days Grace. That initial album was released independently. It would be followed by another indie album, That’s What People Do (1997), before the band finally got signed with Tooth & Nail Records and released their debut major-label album, Set It Off, in 2000. This is the album that established the bands strong nu-metal sound and rapping style. Their next album, Phenomenon, was arguably an even bigger success, earning the band a huge hit with the song “Rawkfist” and making comparisons to bands like Linkin Park; this album had a much stronger edge. That album would be proceeded by many others, including The Art of Breaking (2005), The Flame In All Of Us (2007), Welcome to the Masquerade (2009) and finally, going Indie once again, The End Is Where We Begin, released on April 17th, 2012. Additionally, Deju Vu: The TFK Anthology (2009) marked a compilation album of Phenomenon, The Art of Breaking and The Flame In All Of Us and 2011’s Live At the Masquerade marked the bands first live album released.
This newest album was funded via the TFK Kickstarter campaign, where the band had a goal of raising $40,000 and went on to raise $105,294! Absolutely insane, eh.
Now the album is finally here. I am happy to report that this is, BY FAR, the greatest album the band has ever recorded, in my humble opinion (barring Welcome to the Masquerade, as that is an album I never heard). Go out and BUY THIS ALBUM NOW. You will NOT be disappointed!
Let’s go through “The End Is Where We Begin” track-by-track, these opinions mark my INITIAL LISTEN, as I wrote this review as I listened to the album for the first time.
Song #1: The Introduction (1:00) – AWESOME. Love it.
Song #2: We Are (3:18) – This song starts off the album on a great footing, although the song is not as bombastic as I was expecting and possibly hoping for. Even still it’s an awesome song and I love the chorus and the lyrics, “We are the ones, we are the guns… We are the voice of a song unsung”. Great stuff.
Song #3: Light Up the Sky (3:59) – This song immediately takes the record in an interesting direction as the lyrics here are spoken in more of a rap-style, but it’s a slow and deliberate one that doesn’t sound like he’s trying too hard. That makes it come off in excellent style, and I love the bridge part of this song. The verses are quite awesome as well, “Cause faith, that’s a rebel, I can show you the devil… No where else have I seen such lions led by lambs.” This is a really cool song, I dig the slower pace while still keeping it rockin’.
Song #4: The End Is Where We Begin (3:44) – This is a radio friendly, anthem style track for the band that reminds me of a great P.O.D. track. It’s got a slower pace and a great singable chorus and a real driving beat. I love the weird instruments for the intro that carry throughout the song. This definitely a HIGHLIGHT.
Song #5: Let The Sparks Fly (4:06) – NOW THIS IS WHERE IT’S AT! This is an absolutely rockin’, electric track that’s as good as anything TFK has done in a long time in my humble opinion. It’s very reminiscent of their older material, both in how hard it rocks and the way the song is song. This is a definite HIGHLIGHT. Unfortunately, this was the first song posted online from the band so a lot of people have heard it already.
Song #6: I Get Wicked (3:32) – This is a REALLY interesting song for TFK, it combines both a rap-style and a rock style. It’s a heavy rocker with a sung chorus, and some weird lyrics. This is a definite HIGHLIGHT, and done really well. But in a style that’s a little different for TFK. Doesn’t sound like anything they’ve ever done before in my humble opinion.
Song #7: Be Someday (3:42) – This is a really strong slow song. It’s got powerful lyrics that are sung in a really emotional way that really makes a powerful connection with the listener and pulls on the heartstrings. A very strong and powerful song. Excellent. “We’re all see through, just like glass, and we can shatter just as fast/That light’s been burned out for a while, I still see it everytime I pass/It was lost in the corner’s of my mind, behind a box of reasons why.”
Song #8: Courtesy Call (3:56) – BOOM! This song is freakin’ incredible, possibly one of the best they’e ever done. It mixes up several really interesting styles of vocals with both a hard rap edge, singing and rockin’ and layered with a super epic orchestral sound, with an intro that completely seals the deal and slams it home with the outro. AWESOME.
Song #9: War of Change (3:51) – Man they never cease to keep impressing me on this album. This song is another incredible piece and an absolute winner. They keep changing up the vocals and adding really cool experimental elements that really elevate the whole piece. This song is an outstanding example. I love the chorus and some of the awesome lyrics. “I want to live like I know I’m dying/Take up my Cross, Not be afraid/Is it true what they say? That words are weapons?/And if it is, then everybody best stop steppin’/Cause I got 10 in my pocket that’ll bend ya locket” LOVE IT. HIGHLIGHT for sure.
Song #10: Down (3:27) – SHAZAM! That’s all you can say with this song. It starts off with a bang and NEVER let’s up with some absolutely awesome lyrics. They keep impressing and this song is one of the best on the record! The intro is absolute heaviness and the lyrics are spoken with conviction. This song provides a fitting anthem to all the doubters and naysayers who want you to believe you won’t amount to anything or won’t be able to pursue your dreams like you see fit… As Trevor shouts in this song, no one told him he’d amount to anything on the mic, and that anyone could sing his songs. Well, he’s proved them all wrong. TFK FOR LIFE!
Song #11: All I Need To Know (4:09) – Wow. Talk about a change of pace! This song is absolutely beautiful, and TFK has proven a dozen times over that they can absolutely do heart-wrending ballads with the best of them. This song is absolute proof of that.
Song #12: Fly On the Wall (4:02) – EPIC! Absolutely, flat-out, draw-dropping epicness. This song is absolutely perfect and mind-blowingly awesome. This song tells a very powerful story about a world divided. It is absolutely a MUST LISTEN. Buy this song now and you’ll immediately purchase this whole album and will NOT be disappointed. I’m still picking my jaw up off the floor. INCREDIBLE.
Song #13: So Far Gone (4:29)- :O Im speechless. Touching, memorable, heart-moving, beautiful, worship from the soul… This song is absolutely as perfect as can be and will give you chills. And leave you worshipping The Creator like you never have before. This song has sealed the deal. This album gets a 10 out of 10 from me. BUY IT NOW.
All in all, there is not a SINGLE song from this album that I dislike, and I feel like this album just dropped an absolute BOMBSHELL right on my face. This is the best stuff they have wrote in YEARS. 10 Stars out of 10 Stars from me! BUY IT!
Here is the exact tracklist (I didn’t include the interludes above):
1. The Introduction (1:00)
2. We Are (3:18)
3. Light Up the Sky (3:59)
4. The End Is Where We Begin (3:44)
5. Let the Sparks Fly (4:06)
6. I Get Wicked (3:32)
7. Be Somebody (3:42)
8. This Is A Warning (0:46)
9. Courtesy Call (3:56)
10. War of Change (3:51)
11. Down (3:27)
12. All I Need To Know (4:09)
13. Fly On the Wall (4:02)
14. So Far Gone (4:29)
15. Outroduction (0:37)
Music Album Reviews
9. Between Here & Lost By Love And Death (helmed by Brian “Head” Welch Former Korn Lead Guitarist) [Posted: January 25 2013]
8. I AM By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: September 14th 2012)
7. Find Your Worth Come Home By To Speak of Wolves (Posted: May 25, 2012)
6. Celestial Progression (Remix Album) By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: May 21, 2012)
5 Return to Life By War of Ages (Posted: April 28, 2012)
4. Thousand Foot Krutch – The End Is Where We Begin (Posted: April 20, 2012)
3. KJ-52 – Dangerous (Posted: April 16, 2012)
2. Manafest – Fighter (Posted: April 15, 2012)
1. Demon Hunter – True Defiance (Posted: April 10, 2012)
5. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64) [Posted: January 31 2013]
4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica Review (Dreamcast) [Posted: October 5 2012]
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1, GameCube) [Posted: September 18th 2012]
2. Resident Evil 2 (GameCube) [Posted: September 3rd 2012]
1. Resident Evil Remake (GameCube) [Posted: August 14 2012]
Gilmore Girls Reviews
4. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 4 – The Deer Hunters
3. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 3 – Kill Me Now
2. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 2 – The Lorelais’ First Day At Chilton Review
1. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 1 – Pilot Review
3. The Amazing Spider-Man [Posted: December 1 2012]
2. Prometheus (Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel) [Posted On: November 25 2012]
1. Warhorse (By Steven Spielberg) [Posted On: November 11 2012]
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 5
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast. RE0 Intro (Part 1)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Finale (Part 7)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Parts 5 and 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Finale (Part 5)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Parts 2 And 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast Final Master Run (Claire Redfield)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast (Leon Scenario A On Normal)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Real Survival Mode Chris
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion “Through A Virgin’s Eyes” Podcast Part 1 – Guest Mr. Z
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 1 – Guest: RedWinged Angel
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Podcast – Guest: MyDad
WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Let’s Play Videos
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 7 – Empty Bottle GET! Deku Palace And Magic Beans
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 6 – Granny Robbin For Blast Mask And Kamaro Dance
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 5 – The Thief And the Curiosity Shop Dealer
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 4 – Bomb Bag, Bremen Mask, Scarecrow’s Song
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 3 – Bomber’s Notebook
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 2 – Repeating Yesterday
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 1 – Intro and Opening