In this episode the grandmother (Emily) manipulates the weekly dinner to set up a “Golf Date” between Rory and her grandfather Richard. Lorelai (the mother) tries to stop it from happening, but gives in when Emily challenges the situation and says that Lorelai is “scared” of the prospect of Rory having fun with her grandparents. She ends up giving in to the Golf Date that Emily has set up. While Rory doesn’t mind the situation, Lorelai “knows that she knows” that Rory doesn’t really want to go, and Richard is absolutely beside himself that he should be forced to take his 16-year-old granddaughter to his elite club to go golfing, when she’d rather “be at the mall”.
Lorelai, of course, is expecting to come out on top and for Rory to have a bad time, but instead the opposite proves true. Rory ends up having a great time hanging out with her grandfather, and they find out that they have some things in common, in particular a love for the desire to travel (To “Fez”!) and a love of old books. Since Richard is rich, he has access to interesting old manuscripts, something that Rory swoons over.
This boils up jelousy in Lorelai, who does not like the fact that her parents are intruding in the life of Rory which she fought so hard to keep her away from… and now here she is enjoying the “country club” lifestyle and finding aspects of her grandparents lives interesting. After all, Rory is supposed to despise everything her grandparents represent… right?
This of course is preyed on by Emily, who seems to make the gulf between Lorelei and her all the greater throughout the episode at every chance she gets. The scenes with Rory interacting with her grandfather and talking on the golf course (as well as Rory’s failed attempts to actually hit the ball, as you can see in this picture) are fun to watch. It’s interesting to see the two of them forced to get to know each other, and to see how their fondness for one another grows with each passing conversation and event.
This episode also has one of the funniest moments ever, when Sookie is caught buying “someone else’s strawberries” behind the back of her vegetable boy Jason. Sookie spots the strawberries from across the street and makes a beeline straight for them, entranced and causing bike wrecks and car’s slamming on their breaks in her wake… And the ensuing argument between her and Jackson when he spots her oogling the strawberries as he is walking down the street is absolutely hilarious. Jackson: “You went behind my back buying someone else’s strawberries?!” Sookie: “I was desperate!” Jackson “YOU DISGUST ME.” Sookie: “I needed the strawberries!” Jaskons: *crying* “Well I hope you’re happy together!” It’s an absolutely awesome scene.
“Kill Me Now” ends on a very sad note, as Lorelai has to deal with her hurt feelings over the fact that Rory is sharing in a bonding moment with her grandfather over a book; Emily jumps in, leaving Lorelai on the couch alone…. left to stew with confused feelings of jealousy, guilt-over-being jealous, anger, heartbrokenness, etc.
This episode is also full of some dumb moments with a wedding being planned at the inn… and two female twins who are marrying… two male twins. As a subplot, it carries the episode fine, but just comes off as dumb in my humble opinion… and we get lots of scenes with Lorelai, Michelle and others interacting with the mother who is upset at her snobby, spoiled daughters.
We also see Kirk return, this time as an unnamed “Swan Delivery” guy delivering caged “Geese” (or swans rather) for the wedding… which ends up being another hilarious scene because it turns out that Michele was attacked by geese as a young boy and is scared to death of them (cue sudden crow by the geese and Michele jumping in fright, a classic moment and absolutely hilarious).
Overall this is an alright episode. It’s an interesting one even though nothing too interesting actually takes place… but the character building is great and its fun to watch Richard interacting with Rory and to see all the different emotions that Lorelai goes through. She even gets in a fight with Rory over “bra size”…. You’ll have to watch the episode to see what I mean!
But it is this character building aspect that is one area where Gilmore Girls really shines, and this episode delivers.
You can buy Gilmore Girls Season One on Amazon (Instant Steaming $33) or buy Gilmore Girls Season One on iTunes ($35 Instant Steaming) or can buy Gilmore Girls Episode 3: Kill Me Now on Amazon (Instant Streaming $2) or on iTunes in individual episode form. You can also stream it on Netflix if you have a Netflix subscription.
More Gilmore Girls Reviews
4. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 4 – The Deer Hunters
3. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 3 – Kill Me Now
2. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 2 – The Lorelais’ First Day At Chilton Review
1. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 1 – Pilot Review
3. The Amazing Spider-Man [Posted: December 1 2012]
2. Prometheus (Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel) [Posted On: November 25 2012]
1. Warhorse (By Steven Spielberg) [Posted On: November 11 2012]
5. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64) [Posted: January 31 2013]
4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica Review (Dreamcast) [Posted: October 5 2012]
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1, GameCube) [Posted: September 18th 2012]
2. Resident Evil 2 (GameCube) [Posted: September 3rd 2012]
1. Resident Evil Remake (GameCube) [Posted: August 14 2012]
Music Album Reviews
9. Between Here & Lost By Love And Death (helmed by Brian “Head” Welch Former Korn Lead Guitarist) [Posted: January 25 2013]
8. I AM By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: September 14th 2012)
7. Find Your Worth Come Home By To Speak of Wolves (Posted: May 25, 2012)
6. Celestial Progression (Remix Album) By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: May 21, 2012)
5 Return to Life By War of Ages (Posted: April 28, 2012)
4. Thousand Foot Krutch – The End Is Where We Begin (Posted: April 20, 2012)
3. KJ-52 – Dangerous (Posted: April 16, 2012)
2. Manafest – Fighter (Posted: April 15, 2012)
1. Demon Hunter – True Defiance (Posted: April 10, 2012)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 5
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast. RE0 Intro (Part 1)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Finale (Part 7)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Parts 5 and 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Finale (Part 5)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Parts 2 And 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast Final Master Run (Claire Redfield)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast (Leon Scenario A On Normal)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Real Survival Mode Chris
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion “Through A Virgin’s Eyes” Podcast Part 1 – Guest Mr. Z
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 1 – Guest: RedWinged Angel
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Podcast – Guest: MyDad
WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Let’s Play Videos
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 7 – Empty Bottle GET! Deku Palace And Magic Beans
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 6 – Granny Robbin For Blast Mask And Kamaro Dance
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 5 – The Thief And the Curiosity Shop Dealer
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 4 – Bomb Bag, Bremen Mask, Scarecrow’s Song
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 3 – Bomber’s Notebook
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 2 – Repeating Yesterday
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 1 – Intro and Opening