The features of the Wii U will really enhance this best-selling fitness series in all-new ways that streamline, expand, and make the game more accessible than ever before. The biggest new addition is a pedometer that ships with the game. Called the “Fit Meter”, it will keep track of your daily activity that happens outside of the game, such as steps taken or elevation climbed, etc., that you can then upload and incorporate into your Wii Fit U routine, stats, etc. to make it even better of a gauge for your real world fitness level.
This will also give the game a much deeper sense of immersion, as you’ll essentially be playing Wii Fit U wherever you go by taking the Fit Meter with you on-the-go. I already do this with the 3D thanks to its built-in pedometer that keeps tracks of daily steps taken and it is a huge motivator to always bring the 3DS with me when I go outside the house or go on a walk or run. I can imagine the Fit meter will do much the same for Wii Fit U players.
Another big feature of Wii Fit U comes courtesy of the Wii U GamePad tabelt controller, which allows you to access Wii Fit U to weight yourself, and perform other tasks, even while the TV is off, thanks to the GamePad’s built-in touchscreen. Additionally, most of the exercises you know and love return from Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, with a newer emphasis on exercises that make use of the Wii U GamePad and new exercises and minigames that offer more action and “games” to play. You can also upload your fitness history and profile from previous Wii Fit games and transfer it into Wii Fit U!
Here is the Wii Fit U debut trailer from Nintendo’s E3 2012 Press Conference.
Fitness and Fun Come to Wii U
Discover fun, new ways to get up and get moving as the Wii Fit series comes to the Wii U home console. The game features favorite exercises from Wii Fit Plus as well as new exercises that incorporate the Wii U GamePad controller in select activities. The game also comes packaged with a small peripheral device called the Fit Meter, which is designed to track your daily activity.
Key Features of Wii Fit U include:
* Wii Fit U features more than 20 new activities and exercises that integrate the unique features of the GamePad and/or the Wii Balance Board.
* Single-screen activities or exercises can be played using the GamePad without a TV screen. You can also use the GamePad to check personal information, such as your weight, without displaying it on the big screen.
* You can carry the portable Fit Meter everywhere to take a comprehensive record of your daily activity. A variety of data, such as the number of steps taken or the elevation climbed, can be synced with the Wii U console to show how much activity takes place throughout the day.
* Most of the Yoga and Strength exercises from Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are back, and you will even be able to transfer your previous save data.
* Friends and family members can take turns using their own Mii characters within various activities.