Lego City: UnderCover takes the Lego videogame series in a completely open-world, sandbox direction for the first time ever! Explore a gigantic, living, breathing Lego-ized city (called… “Lego City”) made up of the popular real-world Lego toy sets fans know and love! Additionally, our hero (named Detective Chase McCain) has a full range of acrobatic moves he can perform, from running along walls to swinging on poles, performing Wall Jumps and swinging from a grappling hook! He can even perform wrestling-style moves in hand-to-hand combat! He also can hijack vehicles and drive them around the city, including flying vehicles like helicopters and airplanes! :O
No word on whether or not the game supports Co-Op play of any kind, or how the MiiVerse will be integrated into the game. Although the official website lists the game as for 1 or 2 players, so it is very likely to have local cooperative play just like the rest of the Lego videogames. We’ll have to wait and see to find out if it supports online play however.
Lego City: Undercover is a Wii U-exclusive however, and because of that Nintendo elements will be integrated into the game in some form… for example at the end of the trailer we see Chase McCain enter a green warp pipe from Super Mario Bros.! :D
Here is the Lego City: UnderCover Wii U E3 2012 Debut Gameplay Trailer.
The trailer shows off a number of cool gadgets and items that McCain uses to unearth Lego pieces including a Jackhammer, a Crowbar tool that he uses to pry a door open, and he even punches the crap out of a ATM machine! By switching to different disguises, McCain will gain all-new abilities. Lego City: UnderCover is the first fully-voiced Lego videogame with unique voice work for each of the game’s characters! This will help tell the story in the cinematic cutscenes.
Additionally, players can use the Wii U GamePad tablet controller and it’s touchscreen to scan for hidden criminals, and make use of other gadgets (just like in Batman: Arkham City Wii U and ZombieU). All in all, this game looks mighty impressive and might fun! Lego City: UnderCover will most likely be a Wii U launch game when the system hits store shelves this Fall 2012.
The Chase is On!
For the first time, the fan-favorite LEGO City vehicles and play sets come to life in LEGO City: Undercover, exclusively for the new Wii U console. Players assume the identity of Chase McCain, an undercover detective armed with clever disguises. The mission is to put a stop to the fiendish Rex Fury and end his crime wave in LEGO City. As players run, drive and even fly through the city, they’ll use the Wii U GamePad controller as a new police gadget.
Here is a Lego City: UnderCover stage demo showing ten minutes of new gameplay footage!
Key Features of Leco City: UnderCover include:
* The Wii U GamePad is woven seamlessly into the game-play experience. Players use it to scan for hidden clues and criminals, receive mission updates and place waypoints on an overhead city map that displays their position in real time.
* Experience LEGO City like never before. Players will encounter familiar play sets come to life as they explore the vast city, looking for clues to bring Rex Fury to justice.
* Players can go undercover with a variety of disguises, including a firefighter, a construction worker and even a robber, and use their unique abilities to solve puzzles and access new areas of the city.
* There are more than 100 vehicles for players to collect and use to explore the city, including sports cars, motorcycles and even aircraft.
* LEGO video games are known for their humor and parody, and LEGO City: Undercover delivers this and more with fully voiced characters and ambient crowds, bringing LEGO City to life.
Here’s some GameSpot guys discussing Lego City: Undercover from the E3 2012 Show Floor.