I did not know anything about Prometheus going in, other than the fact that the film is a prequel. I found it quite fascinating. The film is a bonafide thriller all the way through, a horror film whose aesthetics are similar to that of the original Alien. It’s a really smart film, first and foremost, and the characters are a lot more likeable than they were in the original Alien and Aliens IMHO, generally avoiding the whole military, tough-guy stereotypes that I so hate.
This movie really nails the feel that one would expect from an Alien film helmed by Scott, while taking the story in interesting directions that raise questions and make one ponder about the purpose of life, the power of faith, the reason for existence and the origin of intelligence.
The fact that the main character (Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw) has faith that the others don’t, and that her strength and resolve, as well as will to live, is powered by her faith (a key symbol in the film is a cross necklace she carries with her) is powerful and an interesting plot device given the general Darwinian “truths” that pervade the film, it’s characters and most of its message. As such the main character stands in stark contrast and that dichotomy certainly works to the film’s benefit; even though a belieF in Jesus Christ or the Christian God is not outright stated. It is however implied, given that the Cross is her refuge. As a Christian myself, this was a breath of fresh air and very interesting all told, given the story new weight that it wouldn’t carry otherwise.
Promotheus also fills in gaps from previous movies and really takes the backstory further, all-out showing the true origin of the Alien species as well as other species of lifeforms that were only hinted at in previous films. I’m not an expert on the Alien mythology so I’m not at liberty to go into details on said backstory, even so I found the films plot and mythos satisfying.
It was extremely fascinating to see the new story threads and the way the film explained the age-old-question of where we come from and what our purpose is, as well, while also showing the race of beings that were only hinted at in the original Alien… even the throne! And that’s all I’ll say to avoid spoilers.
This viewpoint of a true alien world and alien race is awesome, and really well done, even if that race is not nearly as badass, unique or terrifying as the actual aliens themselves. While that proves to be a slight disappointment, the film overall is great and I highly enjoyed it.
There are several standout scenes as well, and lots of inter-character drama that really attaches one to the main characters and you really fall in love with them because of it. This is something that the original Alien quadrilogy failed at in my humble opinion, and thus this film is a nice change of pace and improvement from what is to be expected.
I highly recommend Prometheus, even if you don’t know the backstory of the Alien films or haven’t seen them, I still recommend this film as a great horror flick. It is less bloody and violent overall than previous films in the franchise, although it does feature one quick scene of some people vomiting (thankfully it doesn’t really show it, and it’s brief) and a few scenes that are violent, but they are short and it is not overly grotesque.
The film overall is more focused on a tense atmosphere, and is slower-paced with terrific special effects and some neat gadgets. Nothing is quite as brutal as Bishop getting torn in half in Aliens, although there is a medical scene that comes close and may cause some to squirm, but overall I was actually surprised that the film was not more violent than it is. It certainly is no where near the violence and gore seen in a lot of modern horror films, much to my relief.
The film also deals with space in a more direct manner than previous Alien films, and one scene in particularly is extraordinary and really cool. The special effects in the movie are great throughout, and the acting is extremely impressive. Especially for a sci-fi film. The new heroine does an amazing job at filling Sigourney Weaver’s shoes, I must say, and she even looks like Weaver! :O
Prometheus is also the type of film that you’ll want to watch more than once. As I stated previous, it’s very smart and gives the viewer more than they can take in with a single viewing.
Overall, Prometheus is a great film. Watch it!
More Movie Reviews
3. The Amazing Spider-Man [Posted: December 1 2012]
2. Prometheus (Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel) [Posted On: November 25 2012]
1. Warhorse (By Steven Spielberg) [Posted On: November 11 2012]
5. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64) [Posted: January 31 2013]
4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica Review (Dreamcast) [Posted: October 5 2012]
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1, GameCube) [Posted: September 18th 2012]
2. Resident Evil 2 (GameCube) [Posted: September 3rd 2012]
1. Resident Evil Remake (GameCube) [Posted: August 14 2012]
Music Album Reviews
9. Between Here & Lost By Love And Death (helmed by Brian “Head” Welch Former Korn Lead Guitarist) [Posted: January 25 2013]
8. I AM By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: September 14th 2012)
7. Find Your Worth Come Home By To Speak of Wolves (Posted: May 25, 2012)
6. Celestial Progression (Remix Album) By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: May 21, 2012)
5 Return to Life By War of Ages (Posted: April 28, 2012)
4. Thousand Foot Krutch – The End Is Where We Begin (Posted: April 20, 2012)
3. KJ-52 – Dangerous (Posted: April 16, 2012)
2. Manafest – Fighter (Posted: April 15, 2012)
1. Demon Hunter – True Defiance (Posted: April 10, 2012)
Gilmore Girls Reviews
4. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 4 – The Deer Hunters
3. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 3 – Kill Me Now
2. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 2 – The Lorelais’ First Day At Chilton Review
1. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 1 – Pilot Review
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 5
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast. RE0 Intro (Part 1)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Finale (Part 7)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Parts 5 and 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Finale (Part 5)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Parts 2 And 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast Final Master Run (Claire Redfield)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast (Leon Scenario A On Normal)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Real Survival Mode Chris
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion “Through A Virgin’s Eyes” Podcast Part 1 – Guest Mr. Z
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 1 – Guest: RedWinged Angel
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Podcast – Guest: MyDad
WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Let’s Play Videos
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 7 – Empty Bottle GET! Deku Palace And Magic Beans
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 6 – Granny Robbin For Blast Mask And Kamaro Dance
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 5 – The Thief And the Curiosity Shop Dealer
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 4 – Bomb Bag, Bremen Mask, Scarecrow’s Song
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 3 – Bomber’s Notebook
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 2 – Repeating Yesterday
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 1 – Intro and Opening