The system is a blue-colored 3DS with a very cool, exclusive Fire Emblem: Awakening logo embossed on the front of the system. The game, Fire Emblem: Awakening, will come pre-installed on the system, which means it’s a digital title.
This means you won’t get any physical box or instruction manual with the game, which might be a tough sell for those who prefer to own hardcopies as opposed to digital. The 3DS is also a regular, small 3DS (original version) and not the much larger 3DS XL, which also may disappoint some. Others may be disappointed that the color is not a new color, although it looks like it may be a different shade of blue than the “Aqua Blue” system.
This news was confirmed by Nintendo of America’s official Twitter following a full-page reveal in Game Informer. Official pricing has not been announced, but other similar bundles sell for $180. A regular 3DS (with no game included) typically sells for $170, whereas the 3DS XL sells for $200. The bundle will be released in USA and Canada, no word on whether or not it will hit other territories.
If you are unfamiliar with the long-running (since 1990… in Japan anyway, the first Western Fire Emblem didn’t release until 2003 for Game Boy Advance, titled “Fire Emblem”, even though it was the 7th main game in the series) Fire Emblem strategy RPG games, check out the trailer for Fire Emblem Awakening above.
Fire Emblem: Awakening will mark the first Nintendo-developed game to ever offer paid Downloadable Content (DLC has been featured in the Professor Layton games, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and other games, but were offered free). Something that has become standard on other systems and with games throughout the industry, but never yet offered by Nintendo themselves. Until now.
Fire Emblem: Awakening Overview:
Command your army and shape the course of history! In the visually stunning world of the Fire Emblem Awakening game, you command and fight alongside an army of spirited heroes standing against an enemy with the power to destroy empires; a dark dragon whose agents include armies of the undead. Plan your attack, customize your forces, and guide your heroes as you forge alliances that strengthen your resolve in battle and shape the course of history. Lead a team of distinct characters with unique abilities, rich backstories, and evolving relationships that guide the path of your quest. Plan your attack carefully – the lives of your soldiers and the future of the world depends on it.
* IMMERSIVE STORY AND VISUALS – The deep and immersive fantasy storyline is told through beautiful glasses-free, stereoscopic 3D visuals and movies.
* DEEP CAST OF CHARACTERS – A massive selection of characters are at your command, all with a unique personality and background story and different class types and skill sets.
* DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT – An extensive selection of downloadable content will be available for purchase and will offer opportunities to acquire new maps, new story elements, new playable characters, new classes, and rare items and weapons.
* CUSTOMIZATION: Create your own personalized character and fight alongside heroic characters on the battlefield.
* BONDS GROWN IN BATTLE: Team up characters to strengthen their friendships on the battlefield. The closer they grow, the better these friends and allies will fight together. Some characters can even get married!
* TEAM UP: Team up with a friend and fight against a group of enemies in the local multiplayer mode.
* STREETPASS – The StreetPass feature allows you to exchange your team data. Recruit or battle against the other player’s team or purchase rare items they might carry.
* SPOTPASS – The SpotPass feature allows you to receive new maps, items and legacy characters to battle against in random battle and local multiplayer mode.