The game was an epic failure, and languished in development hell for nearly as long as Duke Nukem Forever, or so it seemed. Too Human originally started development as a four-disc epic RPG PS1 game in 1999! Here is what the game looked like in these Too Human PS1 Screenshots from E3 1999 (see video below to watch the PS1 game in action! And above for the Xbox 360 version).
Too Human then moved to GameCube in 2000 after Nintendo partnered with Silicon Knights and made them essentially a second party development studio of Nintendo; leading to great games like Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem (considered Silicon Knights best game) and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. Here is what Too Human looked like on the GameCube in these Too Human GameCube Screenshots!
Nintendo sold Silicon Knights to Microsoft (along with rare) in 2005, at which point Too Human development shifted to Xbox 360 in 2006. Finally the game was released, as a planned trilogy, in 2008. The game had many issues, received critical reviews, and sold poorly, thus marking the end of the decade-long Too Human saga, a game in development for an insane NINE YEARS. Suffice to say, the rest of the trilogy will most likely never see the light of day.
Here is what the original PlayStation version of Too Human looked like in 1999! Amazing, eh. Too Human PS1 gameplay video ftw!
The retail version of Too Human for Xbox 360 has already been recalled, which means you can only officially get your hands on Too Human second-hand or via entertainment exchange stores or websites like ebay, Amazon, GameFly, GameTZ, Goozex and the like. This will make Too Human a definite collector’s item in the future. The court ordered that copies of Too Human be recalled and destroyed per terms of the lawsuit’s verdict, along with any other games that used Epic’s Unreal Engine, including X-Men Destiny, another game that will become a collector’s item so try to get your hands on a copy!
It also makes Too Human (and X-Men Destiny) very desirable games in which to have earned all the Xbox 360 Achievements. Be sure to do so if you can still gain access to Silicon Knights RPG epics! I definitely plan on doing just that!
Too Human Synopsis:
As the cybernetic god Baldur, you are thrust into the midst of an ongoing battle that threatens the existence of mankind. An ancient machine presence has forced the god’s hand. In the first part of a trilogy, Baldur is charged with defending humanity from an onslaught of monstrous war machines bent on the eradication of human life.
In Too Human, players experience a nonstop barrage of action powered by the integration of melee and ranged firearms combat and fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the Xbox 360. Battles unfold in awesome scale as players engage with vast numbers of enemies.
Key Features of Too Human Include:
* The birth of an icon-Fight as the powerful cybernetic god Baldur battling his way through enemy armies to become one of gaming’s renowned iconic heroes. From weaponry and armor to combat techniques and combos, you can fully customize Baldur to become the best possible hero.
* Epic beginning to a captivating trilogy-Begin the saga of Baldur in the first chapter of an exciting three-part narrative in the tradition of classic trilogies such as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.
* Explosive melee and firearms combat-It will take more than brawn and raw strength to supplant the machine hordes. Utilize a sophisticated blend of seamless melee and firearms combat to vanquish foes near and far. Witness the fluid grace of heroes and enemies in battle as enacted by the motion-capture group F.A.S.T. Feel each punishing blow through advanced visual effects made possible through the horsepower of Xbox 360.
* Advanced cinematic presentation-Characters and environments come to life with unparalleled visual fidelity. Experience the full excitement of combat through a dynamically driven presentation system that portrays the combat with cinematic quality. Survive pulse-pounding battles against hundreds of on-screen enemies set against the vast landscape of the Too Human world. A sweeping orchestral score sets the mood for heartbreak, anger and bloodlust as each tune encapsulates you within the immersive gaming environment.
* New level of accessibility through intuitive combat-Perform Baldur’s elaborate and complex combat maneuvers through the press of a button and chain together hundreds of rapid-fire attacks and combos with ease. Through the use of an intuitive combat system, Too Human delivers gameplay that is easy to learn and rewarding to master. Too Human introduces combinations of weapons combat on a level that leaves players in awe.
* Shared experience-Conquer the world of Too Human alone or with friends through advanced, two-player online co-op gameplay through the Xbox Live service.
Modern take on a classic story-Too Human chronicles the ongoing struggle between cybernetic gods, giant machines and mortal men on a massive scale never before seen. Play the role of a cybernetic god charged with protecting the human race against a relentless onslaught of machines.