Chrono Trigger is out now for Android via Google Play and iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) platforms. It also has been released previously for Wii Virtual Console, PlayStation Network for PS3 (U.S. only), various mobile phones, in an enhanced Nintendo DS version, on the PS1 as part of the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection and in its original form on the SNES (it can also widely be found for emulators).
Warning, spoilers in the trailer for those who have yet to experience Chrono Trigger.
Chrono Trigger is highly regarded as one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and represented the coming together (or dream team, if you will) of three specific individuals: The artist of Dragon Ball Z Akira Toriyama, the creator of Final Fantasy Hironobu Sakaguchi and Yuji Horii, the creator of the Dragon Quest RPG franchise (Final Fantasy’s biggest rival).
Together they created one of the most memorable and greatest games ever made… A game that is now easily and instantly available for mobile platforms everywhere! Huzzah!
It’s worth noting that most of the updated features from the PS1 version were kept for the DS release, and the subsequent Android and iOS versions as well (I assume), thus building on features. Whereas the PlayStation Network version is the exact version from PS1’s Final Fantasy Chronicles set (which included all-new animated movie scenes), and the Wii Virtual Console version is the EXACT version as the original SNES title, with none of the additions made in further versions.
Chrono Trigger Synopsis (Android release):
Chrono Trigger is the timeless role-playing classic developed by the “Dream Team” of Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii, Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama, and the creators of Final Fantasy. Featuring revolutionary gameplay and an epic tale of time travel and high adventure, Chrono Trigger captured the hearts of a gaming generation, selling over three-and-a-half million copies around the world.
With Chrono Trigger for Android, you can experience the timeless story and dynamic battles of this beloved classic any time, anywhere, with intuitive touch screen controls making the experience smoother than ever. Venture also to the Dimensional Vortex and Lost Sanctum, two additional areas from the Nintendo DS remake of the game.
Journey to the forgotten past, the distant future, and even to the very End of Time. Whether you’re a first-time player or a longtime fan, this epic quest to save a planet’s future promises hours of enthralling adventure!
Chrono Trigger Story
A chance encounter amid the festivities of Guardia’s Millennial Fair in Leene Square introduces our young hero, Crono, to a girl by the name of Marle.
Deciding to explore the fair together, the two soon find themselves at an exhibition of the Telepod, the latest invention by Crono’s longtime friend Lucca.
Marle, fearless and brimming with curiosity, volunteers to assist in a demonstration. An unanticipated malfunction, however, sends her hurtling through a rift in the dimensions.
Taking hold of the girl’s pendant, Crono bravely follows in pursuit. But the world into which he emerges is the one of four centuries before…
Journey to the forgotten past, the distant future, and even to the very End of Time. The epic quest to save a planet’s future makes history once again.
Chrono Trigger Android Key Features:
* Includes the two additional areas from the Nintendo DS version of the game:
– The Dimensional Vortex: A mysterious, ever-changing dungeon existing outside of space and time. What wonders await you at its center?
– The Lost Sanctum: Enigmatic gates in prehistoric and medieval times will lead you to these forgotten chambers. Meet the challenges presented to you and long-lost secrets may be revealed…
* Intuitive touch screen controls make it easier than ever to navigate this vast world of adventure.
* In battle, slide and tap to select targets and cut through your foes!
* Graphics optimized especially for Android.
* Supports eight languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Chinese (Traditional/Simplified), and Japanese.
* Employ a wide range of “Techs”-spells to dispatch your foes in thrilling battles.
* Combine the powers of your party members to unleash two- and three-person combos.
* Over fifty combinations in all offer players numerous options and in-depth combat!
Chrono Trigger DS Details:
After 13 long years, the role playing game of the ages finally returns with Chrono Trigger for the Nintendo DS. This chapter begins when a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions, and young Crono must journey through time to rescue a mysterious girl from an intricate web of past and present perils. Enhanced with Nintendo DS’s dual-screen presentation, stylus controls, and a host of great new features, this classic tale returns to a modern, portable platform.
DS Chrono Trigger Key Features:
* After 13 years, the role playing game of the ages returns with Chrono Trigger for the Nintendo DS.
* Crono, meets an adventurous girl named Marle, and accidentally travels back in time 400 years.
* Past, present, and future worlds collide as Crono tries to save the planet.
* Revised version of the groundbreaking Active Time Battle (ATB) System delivers exhilarating combat.
* Special Tech skills and powerful combos, known as Dual and Triple Techs, encourages strategic battle plans.
PS1 Chrono Trigger Amazon Description (as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles)
The two classic RPGs in this compilation not only represent hours upon hours of story, character, and action, they also present the background for two bestselling, critically hailed games: Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross. With all the different names for the original 1991 release of the first title in this compilation (Final Fantasy IV in Japan, Final Fantasy II in the U.S.), role-players new to the game may get confused. Make no mistake, though: Final Fantasy Chronicles marks the first time this pivotal installment of the cherished game series has ever been available on the PlayStation. In Final Fantasy IV, players take on the role of Cecil, a loyal captain who questions the orders of his king, and for it is sent to slay a mysterious beast in a nearby valley.
In Chrono Trigger, Chrono must follow princess Marle’s teleportation through time and locate her before an intergalactic parasite arrives to destroy the world. The original game, also on the PlayStation for the first time, was one of the first nonlinear role-playing games. The decisions that players make during the game will point them toward one of more than a dozen possible endings.
These new versions retain the authentic Japanese SNES stories and characters while updating their graphics and adding new full-motion video sequences and other features.
Final Fantasy Chronicles Key Features:
* The Final Fantasy Chronicles set includes new opening and closing cinematic sequences for Chrono Trigger and re-creations of memorable sequences.
* New abilities include a “dash” feature, allowing players to move quickly through towns and dungeons.
* 2-player mode allows players to participate in battles together.
* Improved localization of the original unedited story.
* Includes all the original monsters, abilities, items and scenes that were not seen in the SNES version.