Two new features were revealed for The Wind Waker HD. First of all, making use of Miiverse, players can visually send messages to other online players in a super unique way via a new “Message In A Bottle” system called the “Tingle Bottle”. Literally, you write or draw a message, Link puts it in a bottle, and then throws it into the ocean. That Message In A Bottle will then wash up ashore on the islands as other players are playing the game, if they are connected online to MiiVerse. Once they pick up the bottle they can see the message, picture, artwork, hint, etc. that you left! You can even attach an in-game screenshot using the Pictograph and can finally share these shots online with other players via MiiVerse, even putting the photo in the bottle as part of your message!
This is an ingenious way to do MiiVerse! Instead of simply sharing messages on the MiiVerse “message board” or seeing the messages pop up on the overworld like speech bubbles, you actually get them delivered as a “Message In A Bottle”. Considering the seafaring adventure that is Wind Waker, this makes perfect sense and fits into the world like a glove! Very awesome!
Nintendo also revealed that they have upgraded the Tingle Tuner item. The original game used the Game Boy Advance GameCube Link cable and a second player could help out the first player by using the second screen on the GBA and controlling Tingle. This allowed them to sell items to Link, give Link the ability to float for a brief period of time, destroy enemies by dropping Tingle Bombs and purchasing items and healing potions for Link with Rupees. Tingle could also see a full map and reveal secrets otherwise inaccessible. Naturally, as one would expect, all of those features return in the new game but are now pulled off by using the WiiU GamePad instead. It sounds like new features or expanded features may have also been added. Exactly how different it has been changed though will have to wait until the game’s release.
Satoru Iwata also revealed that The Wind Waker HD has made a number of tweaks to the gameplay to make this the definitive Wind Waker experience. For example, players can now speed up time as they are sailing, allowing you to get across the ocean much quicker. The slow pace of the Ocean Sailing, especially early on in the game, was one of the chief complaints of Wind Waker (as well as the long drawn out fetch quest towards the end), and it seems like Nintendo is doing what it can to clean it up and making this section less of a chore. Good news!
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the GameCube was one of my favorite games of all time. So I can’t wait to play this new prettied up version!
One of the Greatest Adventures of All Time Returns in HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker makes its glorious return on the WiiU console with gorgeous HD graphics and enhanced game features. In this timeless classic with a unique and colorful “toon-shaded” art style, players guide Link as he sets out on the massive Great Sea to find his kidnapped sister. Players will sail the seas in search of lost islands, fight fearsome enemies, take on mighty bosses and seek out the legendary Triforce.
Key Zelda: Wind Waker HD Features:
* The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD features 1080p visuals that will immerse players in the game like never before.
* With the WiiU GamePad controller, it’s easy to manage your inventory and view maps.
* Players will enjoy cruising the open sea with a new sail that gives them 50 percent more speed, bringing them to their next destination and action-packed adventure that much faster.
* Once players receive the “Tingle Bottle” item, they can connect with others by posting comments to Miiverse. Through this new feature, comments or screenshots posted on Miiverse will wash up on the shores of other players’ games. It’s like finding a message in a bottle.
* Players can also take and store more pictures with an improved Pictograph and then post them on Miiverse.
* If the television is already in use, this game can been played off-TV on the Wii U GamePad.