Max is an absolutely outstanding actor whom you quickly fall in love with (played by Scott Cohen). I mean seriously, I’m not one to say another guy is handsome or whatnot, which is just weird to me. But if I were a girl, I’d hit that…. Ahem. The charm of the guy just drips off the screen, and the chemistry he has with Lorelei is absolutely sensational. From the opening scene of him teaching the class, you’ll be hard pressed not to like him. He just seems like the perfect guy. Dang now I’m gushing aren’t I? I am not gay I promise. ;) Ahem part 2.
The plot of “The Deer Hunters” centers around a major upcoming test that amounts to 20% of Rory’s grade for the semester… the main thrust of the plot kicks off when Rory gets a D on a paper before the exam in Max’s class. As you’d expect, she is positively crushed by the low grade (having never gotten anything less than an A her whole life) and torpedoes herself into hyper-cram overdrive, preparing for the upcoming major test, hoping to remedy the situation.
However a series of events takes place that causes Rory to be late for the test. Including staying up all night studying, falling asleep on the kitchen table with Lorelai, and …. getting hit by a deer in her jeep while driving to school in a rush, thus the title. And no she didn’t hit the deer… the deer hit her!
This is a really great episode and it shows us some new sides of Rory, including an angry Rory who lashes out at Paris and Triston after arriving at the school too late to take the test… causing her to be escorted out of the classroom by Max Medina after she gets in both Paris and Triston’s faces (but both of them deserved it, snickering and such at her as she arrives to the class late). This type of emotion is out-of-character for Rory so it is really interesting to see it take place. And the way she does it is still so innocent, you can’t help but smile. It’s really cute. (Rory turns to face Triston, “And YOU! For the last time! The name iS RORYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! *screams in his face*” The way she yells the last part as loud as she can is hilarious lol).
Just as interesting is to see the chemistry between Lorelai and Max Medina, as she meets Rory’s teacher for the first time. During their introduction, Lorelai is a complete klutz and draws attention to herself from the other parents in the room for her comedic outbursts and informal nature (making a beeline for the coffee at first sight, for example). As always, this is played perfectly during the scene and is hilarious and fun to watch because it’s so well acted by Lauren Graham.
Neither Max nor Lorelei are flirting per se, but there is electricity there that’s palpable. You can sense the way they are drawn to each other’s personalities and find each other extremely attractive. And the sense of chemistry between them fits so well as I already stated, that you can’t help but to immediately love them both and desire to see them together. From the jump you can tell that Max thinks Lorelai is the most beautiful girl he has ever seen (with good reason) and her quick wit, amazing natural beauty and electrifying sense of humor easily wins him over (as it does to anyone who has watched the show).
Headmaster Charleston also gets some screentime in this episode between him, Max and Lorelai as Lorelei confronts the duo in the Headmaster’s office to try and persuade them to allow Rory to retake the test even though she was late. What ensues is a great monologue from Lorelai regarding the impossible standards of Chilton and how it takes good girls like Rory and breaks them. Once again Lorelai acts with a palpable sense of emotion, frustration and anger that is fantastic to watch, especially as she boils over. And it is even funner to witness her getting upset because it happens in front of Max Medina… naturally, making Lorelei upset is the LAST thing he wants to do… As such, Max tries his best to cool the situation down as he doesn’t want to look like the bad guy and turn off Lorelai.
Lane gets a few scenes in this episode too, as Rory calls her while she is driving to the school to take the test (right before the deer… “accident”), and we get to see how Lane transforms her closet into a really funky, 1970s style fun room and makes it her hangout place, while hiding it from her mother.
Another really funny scene in this episode involves Luke. Following a little fight between Rory and Lorelai (due to Lorelai wanting ice cream and bugging Rory over and over when she is trying to study), Rory ends up studying at Luke’s diner instead of at the house. As Rory is writing on a piece of paper, her pencil breaks and she tosses it onto the table in frustration. Luke brings her a piece of pie and sets it on the table.
Luke: “Here.” *places pie on table* Rory: “What’s that?” Luke: “You look like you need pie.” Rory: “I do?” Luke: “Violent pencil tossing usually signals a NEED for pie.” Rory: “What if I’d thrown a pen?” Luke: “I’d have brought you a trout.” Rory: “What?!” Luke: “I don’t make the rules, I just carry them out.” Classic.
Overall this is a really good episode. Arguably the best one yet. :)
More Gilmore Girls Reviews
4. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 4 – The Deer Hunters
3. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 3 – Kill Me Now
2. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 2 – The Lorelais’ First Day At Chilton Review
1. Gilmore Girls Season One Episode 1 – Pilot Review
3. The Amazing Spider-Man [Posted: December 1 2012]
2. Prometheus (Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel) [Posted On: November 25 2012]
1. Warhorse (By Steven Spielberg) [Posted On: November 11 2012]
5. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64) [Posted: January 31 2013]
4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica Review (Dreamcast) [Posted: October 5 2012]
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1, GameCube) [Posted: September 18th 2012]
2. Resident Evil 2 (GameCube) [Posted: September 3rd 2012]
1. Resident Evil Remake (GameCube) [Posted: August 14 2012]
Music Album Reviews
9. Between Here & Lost By Love And Death (helmed by Brian “Head” Welch Former Korn Lead Guitarist) [Posted: January 25 2013]
8. I AM By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: September 14th 2012)
7. Find Your Worth Come Home By To Speak of Wolves (Posted: May 25, 2012)
6. Celestial Progression (Remix Album) By Becoming the Archetype (Posted: May 21, 2012)
5 Return to Life By War of Ages (Posted: April 28, 2012)
4. Thousand Foot Krutch – The End Is Where We Begin (Posted: April 20, 2012)
3. KJ-52 – Dangerous (Posted: April 16, 2012)
2. Manafest – Fighter (Posted: April 15, 2012)
1. Demon Hunter – True Defiance (Posted: April 10, 2012)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 5
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 0 Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Zero Podcast. RE0 Intro (Part 1)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Finale (Part 7)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Parts 5 and 6
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil: Code Veronica Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Finale (Part 5)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 4
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Parts 2 And 3
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 3 Podcast Part 1
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast Final Master Run (Claire Redfield)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil 2 Podcast (Leon Scenario A On Normal)
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Real Survival Mode Chris
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast
* ListenToMePlay Super Metroid Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion “Through A Virgin’s Eyes” Podcast Part 1 – Guest Mr. Z
* ListenToMePlay Oblivion Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 1 – Guest: RedWinged Angel
* ListenToMePlay The Witcher 2 Podcast Part 2
* ListenToMePlay Resident Evil Remake Podcast – Guest: MyDad
WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Let’s Play Videos
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 7 – Empty Bottle GET! Deku Palace And Magic Beans
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 6 – Granny Robbin For Blast Mask And Kamaro Dance
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 5 – The Thief And the Curiosity Shop Dealer
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 4 – Bomb Bag, Bremen Mask, Scarecrow’s Song
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 3 – Bomber’s Notebook
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 2 – Repeating Yesterday
* WatchMePlay Zelda: Majora’s Mask Part 1 – Intro and Opening