As they make their way around the game board, you will compete in a variety of Mario Party-style mini-games. It is the sequel to the Wii game “Wii Party”, and will feature a number of those same minigames in upgraded fashion.
However this game’s major hook is the ability to play classic tabletop family boardgames with two players using one WiiU GamePad. You put the GamePad on the table like a game board, and two players, one sitting on each end of the GamePad, can play as it if was a boardgame.
This is a new concept and one that Nintendo prototyped and demo’d as a possible use for the WiiU Tablet Controller when the system was first unveiled. It’s nice to finally see it being implemented in a real videogame. This is another “quickie” by Nintendo, but the kind of game that appeals to everyone and will surely be a high system seller.
It’s Time to Party with WiiU
Enjoy board games and mini-games on the TV, play familiar tabletop games using the Wii U GamePad controller or transform your living room into a game show floor. No matter what kind of party you’re throwing, Wii Party U offers something for everyone.
Key Wii Party U Features:
* Everyone at the party competes with his or her own Mii characters in a medley of party games.
* Experience new ways to play with others using the WiiU GamePad. For example, in “Lost-and-Found Square,” imagine you are the person holding the GamePad and you are lost in a playground. Your goal is to describe your surroundings based on what you see on the GamePad in order to help the other players find your location.
* Post your impressions of game sessions to Miiverse. You can rate your performance by adding a one-to five-star ranking after the match is over.
* When you want to leave the TV behind, you can choose to play exclusively on the WiiU GamePad with an array of 15 tabletop games, ranging from foosball to baseball, for two-player competitive and cooperative play.
* In addition to the main games that everyone can play together, there are 80 minigames that can be played on your own. These include the Tabletop Minigame that can be played with the Wii U GamePad only.